Severe gales expected across England and Wales
October 25, 2013
The Met Office has issued a severe weather warning for wind and rain on Monday 28 October. The latest forecasts are available at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/, and the weather warnings are expected to be updated on Saturday morning.
Be prepared — stay safe and protect your property
- Add your insurance company out of hours claims number and policy reference into your mobile phone so you can quickly contact them if damage occurs.
- Secure any loose tools and machinery, anything that could be blown into your home or out buildings.
- Park vehicles in a garage or barn, if available; otherwise keep them clear of buildings, trees, walls and fences.
- Shut and secure doors and windows, particularly those on the side of the house the storm will hit and stay at the other end of the house.
- If possible, bring animals into a barn or shelter well in advance of a storm, make sure they have plenty of food and water and keep them away from areas with windows. Never leave animals tied up or restrained outside.
- Move all beds away from any chimney stacks that are tall and in poor condition.
- Do not go outside to repair damage while the storm is in progress.
- Only travel if essential and take care when driving on exposed routes. Consider delaying your journey or find an alternative.
- After the storm avoid any electrical/telephone cables that have been exposed.
- Make sure that any vulnerable neighbours or relatives are safe and help them arrange for any repairs.
- Be prepared for potential power cuts by keeping torches on hand and charging your mobile phone.
If you’re a CLAIS client and have been affected by the storm contact us