Safeguard Against Record-breaking Rainfall this Winter
October 9, 2017
Nearly 17,000 homes and businesses flooded during the winter of 2015-16 and this winter could be worse. Britain is expected to experience unprecedented rainfall, with records to be broken by up to 30 per cent, according to the Met Office. What’s more, 1 in 6 UK properties are at risk for flooding, according to the Environment Agency, so it’s essential that you protect your home.
Even though floods cannot be completely avoided, there are easy and effective preventive measures that you can take now to minimise the potential damage.
- Install flood-resistant doors and windows. Alternatively, you can install removable flood barriers in at-risk areas.
- Sign up for alerts from the Environment Agency, the National Resources Wales or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency to receive flooding messages.
- Consider moving electrical sockets, fuses, trip switches and fixed appliance connections to a height of 1.2 metres.
- Purchase toilet bungs and install non-return valves to minimise pressure caused by water backflow.
- Seal any gaps in your walls and floors by using flood-resistant sealants and using a non-return valve.
- Install a sump pump system if you have a basement or voids underneath your floors.