How to Prevent and Remove Potentially Dangerous Mould
February 25, 2016
Mould grows when excessive moisture in homes and flats is exposed to warm temperatures. Leaky pipes, condensation in basements or cellars, and heavy rain making its way through cracks in the roof or the seals around windows are the most common causes for excessive moisture in the home. Left untreated, mould could cause an allergic reaction, trigger an asthma attack, and, in rare cases, erode the respiratory system of residents or cause individuals to hallucinate.
However, you can prevent the growth and spread of mould, and, by staying vigilant, you can discover and remove any dangerous mould growing in your home. To keep your flat or home clean and safe, follow these tips.
1. Place a dehumidifier in particularly damp or moist rooms—such as the toilet, basement or cellar, utility room, etc—and keep humidity levels at 50 per cent or less.
2. Get rid of old foam pillows or mattresses since these provide an ideal environment for mould growth.
3. Regularly clean and dry damp areas—such as flooring under sinks, the area around pipes, around the toilet, in the shower, etc—with a mould and mildew cleanser that also contains an antibacterial agent.
4. Install air cleaning and filtration systems to filter out mould spores.
1. When removing mould, be sure to wear protective respiratory equipment such as a face mask.
2. Any fabric or material—such as a towel or rug—that is contaminated with mould should be thrown away.
3. Mould that is on a surface such as a wall or floor should be removed with a mould cleanser that contains an antibacterial agent.
Because some mould is toxic, treat mould prevention as a serious health issue that requires year-round vigilance.